I threw a vintage circus-themed baby shower for my sister that included a circus sideshow photo booth. I shuffled people over to the photo booth when they first arrived and had my youngest sister man the camera (get help!). People picked a sign, gathered props, and then took the picture under the sideshow circus tent backdrop. It was really easy to put together and the picture-taking turned into a nice icebreaker. My sister now has fun pictures as mementos of her special day.
Tent: For the circus tent you’ll need a red and white striped tablecloth, some twine, and a “sideshow” sign printed in circus font that’s then taped to a round pendant. Really, it is very easy. I bought the tablecloth and pendants here.
Some notes on the process:
- I folded the tablecloth lengthwise into about a five-inch wide strip.
- I loosely tied the twine around the tablecloth about a third of the way from the top. Then I tied another little loop to hook the tent flaps onto nails (or whatever works best for your wall).
- Take some practice pictures and adjust the height of the tent as necessary.
- My tablecloth didn’t come close to touching the ground and maybe looked a little awkward. I solved this problem by setting my dessert cart underneath the tent. Some strategically placed cupcake tiers and candy jars covered the tent flap ends. The nice thing about a cart is that you can move it with ease and its vintage look fit with the theme.
- Practice taking pictures from an angle where you can’t see the tent ends so the person manning the camera knows roughly where to stand (I didn’t do this but I wish I had).
Prop Station: This part was fun. I looked at vintage posters for inspiration and came up with a list of vintage sideshow acts: bearded lady, magician, strongman, snake charmer, sword swallower, knife thrower, and the incredible expanding woman (my pregnant sister). I gathered whatever props I could find, borrow, or make –attach cardstock mustaches, hats, and “fire” onto skewers.
- The circus font came in handy once again for the sideshow act signs.
- To amp up the photo booth part I took the glass out of a large picture frame and used it in the pictures. It also made a good place to attach the signs.
How fun, huh?!